Apply to be a Fellow
The deadline to apply for the 2017 cohort of the Appalachia Transition Fellowship is Sept. 5, 2016. If you would like information about the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are committed to building a just and sustainable Appalachia, you can join a select group of emerging leaders from across the region in the Appalachian Transition Fellowship. The fellowship is a community partnership of innovative regional organizations, institutions, and other emerging leaders. The program is designed to be a full-time, 12-month program.
The selection process is based on the following criteria:
- Dedicated to the Central Appalachian Region
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in their work or field of study
- Serious about a career that will support the transition to a sustainable and equitable region
- Interest in supporting economic development programs
- Strong collaboration, teamwork, and group decision-making skills
- Commitment to working in rural areas
- Willingness to participate in year-long activities, including: seven skill workshops, four regional gatherings with host organizations, one-on-one and small group coaching
1) Applicants complete an online application form.
2) Applicants mail their resume (no more than 2 pages) and a signed commitment and responsibility declaration to the Highlander Center.
3) Applicants arrange to have three letters of recommendation submitted directly to the Highlander Research and Education Center using forms and instructions provided.
4) Applicants complete the interview availability form included in the application information packet downloadable below.
Application Selection Process
Applications will first be reviewed by the Fellowship Management Team. Semi-finalists will interview with the management team, and host communities will interview finalists. The final selection will be made by the host community. The 2017 Fellowship program begins with a 10-day Appalachian Tour and Orientation in January 2017.